Teacher Librarians as Explorers - Inquiry Blog Post #3

Creative Commons licensed image courtesy of aitoff on Pixabay
While watching this week's course update video, I was captivated by our professor, Aaron Mueller's image of teacher librarians as explorers, going out to learn about the newest technologies and trends in education to bring them back to the staff. I aspire to being one of these explorers and I'm confident it will happen, over time.

As a brand-new teacher librarian, I feel like I'm learning so much myself that I haven't had time to think about how I might share my knowledge with my colleagues. It seems intimidating to think of giving workshops on topics that I've just learned myself, although it would likely be a good way to cement my learning. However, I am fairly technologically savvy (despite my ignorance about the term ICT skills) and I have previously had a job as a technology coach. I have a Smart Board at my disposal in the library and could easily give talks about using Destiny, our new library OPAC (we just switched from Horizon in September 2017), the various databases our district subscribes to, or how to use twitter for professional development.

As of yet, I haven't had a chance to lead any professional development sessions for my staff. On a practical level, I think the most important thing I can do as a new staff member is to get to know the staff so I can learn about their needs and their interests. As I only work two days a week as a librarian, it is a bit of a challenge. Perhaps I could email a survey to staff to see which topics they'd like to learn about and they could answer on their own time through Google Forms.

One way that my district is encouraging teacher to be continuing learners is by supporting inquiry groups who focus on a variety of topics. I can certainly see myself joining a group like this in the future and bringing the information back to interested staff members.

I think about how busy and stressed teachers are much of the time and wonder how I can fit inservice into their lives. I'm curious if the flipped classroom model would work for teachers. Perhaps I could record videos that they could watch at a convenient time, then we could discuss them over lunch.
 
Flipped Classroom Model video by Sprouts on YouTube

Whenever I decide I'm ready to start teaching teachers, I'm sure the online library community will have my back in terms of offering ideas for where to start. For example, The Inspired Librarian shared a post entitled, "Library Orientation for Teachers: Where Do I Begin?" that had tips such as being positive, setting one simple goal for the year, and including a hands on activity in the presentation so the audience doesn't just zone out.

I'm looking forward to reading what my peers are doing in their schools. What have you found the most successful in terms of leading workshops for your fellow teachers?

Comments

  1. A good reflection on the realities of being new, part-time and slowly building up relationships. This is an important phase to go through, as you can't rush it, and you need to get comfortable with the specific needs, goals, and opportunities of your school. In time, there will be colleagues seeking out new tools, approaches and learning, and you will be eager and willing and have some recommendations and opportunities available. The best approach right now is to take it slow, and to be open to every and any staff that is interested in collaborating. A good overview and introduction to your current environment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brainstorming - Future Vision Project Post #1 Design Considerations

Proud member of the Oregon Trail Generation

Libraries around the world - Inquiry Blog Post #4