My Audience - Future Vision Project Post #2 Learner Considerations

Creative Commons licensed image courtesy of Free-Photos on Pixabay,
*my actual audience for this project may not be as large as the audience in this photo

I have decided to create a brief screencast giving basic tips on how to use Destiny Discover to search our school's catalogue as my future vision project for LIBE 477. Now that I have settled on a project, I have started to consider a few specifics in relation to the final product.

Who is my audience?
I feel that my project is suited to a broad range of audience members. I would like students of all ages at my elementary school to view the video and I think it will also be useful for their teachers. I have been in touch with a colleague who is a TL at a different school in the district who would like to view my screencast as she wasn't able to attend the Destiny Discover training session.
Tweet from @kambctl, VSB Curriculum and Assessment Mentor and Teacher Librarian

After tweeting my intention to create a Destiny Discover tutorial, I had interest from district staff as well as the Follett trainer who visited Vancouver to teach VSB teacher librarians about Destiny Discover. This shows that my idea interests a wide variety of learners.

How will they use it?
As the product I am creating will be a short video, I hope that the audience will view it either as a class at school or individually at home. I will use the SmartBoard in my library to show it to classes during collaborative and prep periods. I'm hoping that after viewing the video, students and staff will have a chance to explore Destiny Discover on their own and conduct their own searches.

Challenges
As we have already completed our whole school library orientations for this year, it will be more difficult to make sure that each student in the school sees the Destiny Discover tutorial. I will treat this year as a pilot year and work to include the tutorial in library orientations next fall so we can continue to promote this search interface.

In terms of creating the project, my challenges come from the fact that screencasts are new to me and I am a little apprehensive about completing it all in one take. I would also like to keep the time down to three or four minutes, to ensure I keep my audience's attention, but it may be challenging to fit in all the information I would like to include in a short video. If I find it is too hard, I will likely create more than one video rather than making an extra long screencast.


How will I share my project?
I will be sharing this screencast in multiple ways. Initially, I will upload it to YouTube and embed it in my blog. I will tweet it out and also email the link to staff at my school as well as teacher librarians in my district. Last week, I attended a Vancouver Teacher Librarians' Association meeting where we discussed using Office 365 to share resources. Once we have our District TL Notebook up and running, I will upload my video there.

In order to share with my students, I will play the video at school and let them know that I have uploaded it to our library website. I will send a blurb about the video to my administrator so they can include it in a newsletter that goes home to parents.

Comments

  1. A good plan for your final vision project. I think your artifact will be very useful to your school community and the wider district as a whole. Your tweet and the responses you got demonstrate that there is a need for these types of learning resources that can be shared easily and will be accessible to all. A good plan for the logistics as well, keep it short, or break it up into multiple videos. Be sure to have a good microphone as well, so that your audio is clear and easy to listen to. A good checkin post that captures your thinking and progress well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brainstorming - Future Vision Project Post #1 Design Considerations

Proud member of the Oregon Trail Generation

Libraries around the world - Inquiry Blog Post #4